Windows Defender is an anti-spyware utility that built-in in Windws Vista to detect, prevent, remove and quarantine spywares.InÂ Windows Vista Windows Defender is installed by default, many people are looking for ways to disable, uninstall or remove it from system as they prefer to use other anti spyware programs.
If youâ€™ve installed Windows Defender in Windows XP, you can simply uninstall it from Add or Remove Programs in Control Panel. But in Windows Vista, it is built-in and you can safely remove it from your hard drive.
There are 2 methods to stop Windows Defender from auto starting when Windows is booted up.
- Run Windows Defender.
- Click Tools–>Options.
- Scroll right to the bottom and youâ€™ll see an option â€œUse Windows Defenderâ€.
- Uncheck â€œUse Windows Defenderâ€ and itâ€™ll be disabled.
- Go to Start –> Run and type services.msc
- Look for Windows Defender name and double click to bring up the properties window.
- Click â€œStopâ€ button to stop Windows Defender services and set the Startup type â€œDisabledâ€.
- Go to Start –> Run and type msconfig.
- Go to Startup tab and uncheck Windows Defender displayed at Startup Item.
If you only stop and disable Windows Defender from Services and did not disable Windows Defender at msconfig, youâ€™ll get the error message â€œApplication failed to initialized: 0Ã—800106ba. A problem caused this programâ€™s service to stop. To start the service, restart your computer or search Help and Support for how to start a service manually.â€